Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Peek with Pictures

Basketball is quite a huge part of the students' lives. They will play 20 on 20 and be perfectly happy. This is the most loved basketball hoop on the deck of the school, where kids go out for Outdoor PE/ Recess.
Their makeshift foul line. When I first was shooting to decide teams, they told me to stand at the foul line and just pointed to the floor. I had wondered why they happened to only shove pop cans in one row while walking across the deck before school started.
Briar's footprint at the dock. Some of this mud is like quicksand, so walking across it can lead to a surprise when your foot sinks in deep.

Briar came into my room one day after I had vacuumed, wandered around and left. When I saw him come in later, I realized I hadn't thrown my rug back down. Once I did that he made one neat little circle and with a little sigh of relief plopped down on my rug. I'm not used to dogs in the house, but a well-mannered dog like Briar allows me to enjoy the comfort of a dog checking up on me when I'm stuck lesson planning on my bed.

One student brought me Aqutaq to try. Eskimo Ice Cream: Lard, Fish, Sugar, Berries, and Milk.
Josh "caught" a moose and we helped cut and clean it the next day.

One day as I was worn out from everything else, had just sat down to eat my mashed potatoes and the moose we had just cut and cleaned the day before, Theresa came running in to say there was free fish at the river. We went down there to where the Fish and Wildlife Service had left nice salmon from their nets in the bright blue bin next to the river. Theresa is a great teacher, so I was able to learn how to clean a fish! Cooked for dinner the next night, the salmon beats the flavor of salmon from the Columbia River.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures!
    Love the pop-can foul line. What good ingenuity.
    And Briar's footprint is so neat. He looks like a fun addition to your life.
    No comment on the taste of Aqutaq?? Wow, what a combination.
    Theresa must be an excellent teacher, judging by the expression of rapt attention on my formerly squeamish daughter's face! ha

    ReplyDelete