Saturday, September 24, 2011

Moose, Maklak, and Bear-- Oh My Mistake!

After telling multiple people that bears do not travel the tundra this close to the coast, I find myself being mistaken. Just recently, a teacher's husband went out with the Fishing and Wildlife guy and reported seeing large bear tracks following a moose just two miles away from Alakanuk.

Then, today the subject was brought back up while my students were watching a DVD with many animals, including a brown bear. The elder who helps in my classroom mentioned to me that many years ago, a bear broke into his nearby cabin. He said he didn't know how the bear got in. I commented, "Yes, bear are strong." He replied while motioning with both hands, "Ya, it knocked down the whole wall of the back bedroom." 

Also, someone else mentioned how they have seen a wolverine in our area. Apparently, there are more things to be wary of other than moose! But then again, sightings of "Hairy Man" (Sasquatch or Bigfoot) and a dog with a human head have also been spotted recently. Some of my students were quite crushed when I told them it was pretty hard to get to the end of a rainbow and there was NOT gold or Leprechauns at the end of it. I guess that leads me to the conclusion to not always believe what I hear and that when I see something, I'll have a better chance at believing it.

Here is a link to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game if you're interested in any hunting maps, seasons, or any other information. (I just found some great teaching resources on there.)
A boy in my class draws a net set across the Yukon with wood floats (now they are made from foam).

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! No wonder you're talking guns with Dad ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way, when I say bear? I don't mean cute little black bear bumping along the trail. I mean a Grizzly.

    ReplyDelete