Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An Evening Walk with Wildlife

Walking from my house towards the slough.
I love when Briar sniffs something in the wind.
My roommate's dog Briar.
Near my house (to the left is a corner of teacher housing).
My snowmachine awkwardly sinking in the melting snow.

I'll need to put it up somewhere soon before the river breaks and it floods. I'm hoping to rent or buy part of a large connex so it is locked, secure, and raised.


The kid across the little pond and I were both walking alone- he was throwing rocks into this pond, and I was just meandering. I noticed something in the water resembling a floating piece of firewood and told him to look. He saw it and told me it was a beaver (much later I discovered it was a muskrat) just before it gracefully dipped down. I asked him if it would pop back up and he replied, "It will." We quietly waited and after about six minutes of silent stillness I moved on.

Stepping off the trail isn't wise at the moment. I sunk up to my left hip.


For those of you who remember the bright picture from the fall with a clear reflection, this is the same shot only it is dressed up in spring.
Mold on the small building at the airport.

I noticed a thing that may be a security camera peering down as I rubbed my initials next to many others' onto the side.
Geese flying west.
When I came back by this pond, I waited and
sure enough he came up out of the water.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jana, This is Shelly Cunningham (Josh Cunningham's wife -from the WSU-V teaching program). Josh just found your blog tonight, and so I started following it.
    He was hired three weeks ago to teach in Marshall, AK next year, and we're so excited to know someone else in the district!
    We were also kind of hoping to pick your brain about life up there (we'll be bringing the twins & the baby -due next month- with us... so I have lots of questions!) and I was hoping to get your e-mail address.
    Mine is rcunningham18@hotmail.com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! Interesting details.

    ReplyDelete