Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Muckboots

Although I've lived here many months, I occasionally get hit with a thought (not profound by any means) of, "Wow. I live in Alaska. I live in an isolated village-- so far from everywhere else!"

I had that thought yesterday as I tried to look for a sled at the school to haul some boxes home from the post office. My life went from always having a mailbox to now owning a P.O. Box in Alakanuk, AK. What's odd is the fact that I know from word of mouth if I received boxes or not. And what's even weirder is sometimes I already can guess that I do if I hear more planes flying in than usual.
The shadow from the plane my parent's flew in on.

A plane taking off while my class was playing on the deck (not great quality)

Today on my way home, I was happy with a package (my bed skirt from Amazon), thank you letters from my beautiful aunt, a medical bill, and some junk mail. I was walking on a newly barren mud road with plenty of dense snow on the edges. A high-school girl, who was standing with another girl, yelled out hello to me. When I asked them how they were doing, they stared back without answering. Then the first girl hollered, "Why are you still wearing your winter boots?" (Although the high temperature is hanging right around 32 degrees, people have been acting like it's suddenly summer.) My bright purple Muckboots are not only cute and comfortable, they are quite high-tech, flexible, very waterproof, and keep my feet at a nice temperature whether it is 20 below or 40 above (technically rated for -40 to 70, but I've noticed people who give those ratings must not actually test them out in Alaska very often).

So I decided to answer the girls by saying, "So I can do this!" I took a step off the road towards them. My foot broke the 1/2 inch ice on a 100-foot-across puddle of bright blue water surrounded by snow. I splashed my other foot in the 13 inch deep water. Their jaws dropped and then they started to smile.

I decided to step in any puddle, mud, or slush on my way to the house. What can I say? My Muckboots just make me enjoy walking through the muck. (These two pictures were showed in previous blogs from my trips to St. Mary's and Russian Mission)
Testing out my Muckboots in the first snow in St. Mary's, AK last fall.

Proving that my Muckboots are still going strong at the
time of the last bit of snow in Russian Mission, AK

Growing up in the wet rain and the "cold" weather in Washington doesn't seem so bad. When I went back to Washington, I had proper gear and wasn't complaining when others were. One thing I can say is I think Alaska has made me realize that sometimes a sweatshirt and flip flops aren't always sufficient and that there is absolutely no need to complain about a little cold or dampness when you have a warm jacket or waterproof shoes. (Again... these aren't profound thoughts on my mind tonight.)

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm impressed that your muckboots are taller than 16 inches! Unless you just dipped your toes in the water

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting in a dispatch office in Cheyenne, WY. Came across your blog by watching an aircraft land in Russian Mission, AK. A little bored, but it's close to the end of my shift, so just fooling around looking at different places on the planet where aircraft are landing. I decided to pull up RMAK on google images and your happy person picture stood out. Anyway, you sure are a brave person to teach children so far away from home. God's blessings.
    Joel Cheyenne, WY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but what exactly do you do for your job? Russian Mission is a beautiful place. These are unique parts of the United States, that's for sure. I have been through WY as my family is spread out throughout the pacific NW and the midwest. I've been many places in this world and nothing can describe this land until you come and live amongst the people and start to learn their way of life. :) Glad you found my blog. I don't even know if you'll ever come to find my response, but God bless.

    ReplyDelete