Saturday, August 20, 2011

Alakanuk at last

Hugs. The best hugs around. Hugs that have been waiting since spring. Four out of fourteen students have ran into me and have squeezed their smiling face into my shirt and wrapped their dusty arms around me. Many friends and staff have welcomed me back with warm greetings. Being able to see familiar faces makes me realize that I am happy to be here.

Unfortunately, my time has quickly been consumed by learning new curriculum, putting my class back in order, and getting prepared for a new school year. My hopes of going for walks, helping new teachers out, and going hunting have been pushed aside while sweat forms as I struggle to do the simplest task in the classroom. Yesterday, I finally got some more help in my room, but by that time I had already pushed my injured foot past its limits. I owe many of the people favors in return for the help they have given me.

Some of the new teachers and I have enjoyed each others company in the evenings for dinner together. We've gotten lots of laughter crammed into these stressful days. The teacher in the next classroom was paired up with me as her mentor. I promised later I'll be able to help her clean out some of her cupboards which unfortunately get cluttered as years go on by past teachers. She is very prepared, knowledgeable, and energetic. I'm excited for our classes to do some buddy projects together. I'm thankful to be a part of a great teaching team that we have this year!


Since I can't walk with the new teachers to show them the beautiful scenery Alakanuk has to offer, I gave directions to Sarah and Sammy so they could walk to the dock. With the autumn sun and cool breeze blowing, I craved to see the colorful Yukon. Sarah was able to capture the view in a panoramic from her cellphone!

I can't wait until I can walk again. As you can probably tell from my tone, this transition back to work has been more frustrating and difficult than I originally thought. Soon, I will be able to see my students again, see the sights again, and visit people more freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment