Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The first day of work

During a quick trip to Anchorage to check off last minute errands before a long-haul in the bush, I got to see a few people I knew, as well as meet a few new people. Almost everything about heading to the village this time around seemed a lot easier. The stress of knowing which stores or shipping companies to rely on was eliminated, having most of my stuff up there, and knowing what to expect made my transition to Anchorage and Alakanuk an enjoyable time.

Much of the weekend was an adventure. I met and stayed with a couple new teachers going to Alakanuk. Everything including grocery shopping in a wheelchair proved to create some humorous memories.

Since my situation and surgery isn't easily fit into a quick one sentence summary, I either ended up blabbing on about the intricate surgery or just simply saying, "surgery" with a shrug and a smile. After eating my favorite breakfast at Snow City, we decided to take a cab to a movie. On the way to the theatre with my two new compadres, a cab driver asked me how I hurt my foot. Since I was tired of the honest route, I chose to say, "A taxi driver ran it over."

I have an extra navicular bone in each of my feeet. Three years ago, I injured my right foot playing sand volleyball. The doctors casted my foot for 8 weeks and I had to stay off of it completely during that time. After crutches and then four weeks of somewhat unsuccessful physical therapy, they told me I would be a great candidate for surgery or else I could live in pain. I chose pain. After a few years of slowly healing, I was excited to actually begin to run, jump, and play basketball. And then after snowmachining 60 miles to Kotlik, AK, I jumped to block a shot and landed on my foot with two familiar pops. Suspecting that I reinjured it, I planned for surgery this summer. One month ago, my surgeon cut my extra bone connected to my arch tendon, as well as a piece of my other bone and took at the connection between the bones. They are now held together with two lag screws and washers.

Sammy being towed in my wheelchair after I hopped onto this ride at Freddy's.

It was very fun to have the two new teachers, Sarah and Sammy, in Anchorage and on the same flights out to Alakanuk. Sarah pointed to a larger cargo plane in St. Mary's when we landed and asked, "Is that the size of our plane to Alakanuk?" My nose squinched as I said, "That's definitely going to be larger than our plane."One of the other teacher's daughters mentioned in St. Mary's while we waited to board our next plane, "Since we left home, the planes just keep getting smaller and smaller." Very true statement.

Once we got on a nine passenger plane, the co-pilot turned to Sarah and said, "You doing okay?" Her white hands searching for stability, she replied, "Ya, I just don't like flying." He replied grimly, "Ya, I don't like flying either." Sammy and I of course continued our relentless laughter towards poor Sarah.

Once in Alakanuk, we quickly toured the muddy roads and then arrived home. I am appreciative that people have been so nice to help me carry luggage, my backpack, and my tote. I simply wouldn't be able to do it otherwise.

It's good to be back! The house is clean and set up. My roommate's dog Briar is happy to see me. I'm glad Theresa is my roommate again. My classroom is a little overwhelming, but I know some things might just need to wait until I can get back on my feet. (The clinic said they have a wheelchair, but it can't leave the clinic so I don't know what to do.) I have been lucky to reconnect with a few friends from Alakanuk again as well as some students.

Although I now lay with a sore throat (welcome back to Alakanuk.. sickness may have escaped for the summer but it's back!) and an aching body, I am happy to be here. Here's to a fresh start of a new school year! I pray that I can reach each student, help others, and simply love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment