Thursday, August 25, 2011

Uh oh

After last year, I tried to think of ways I could commit more time to focusing on teaching in the classroom. I decided that being a Natural Helpers Sponsor, being on detention duty, random committee's etc. was helping others, but I was nervous that it was a lot on my plate for my first year in the bush. So I decided that I would cut out as many extracurricular activities as I could and let others step up the plate.

As of today? I might need someone to physically stop me. I volunteered to help with Cross Country for free because a new teacher took on that task somewhat unexpectedly. I had been in his shoes of facing the real task of daily classroom management, while trying to gain respect in a vastly different culture, after moving to an isolated area, and and dealing with learning that the food you mailed two weeks ago was stuck in a different far away village and was requiring more postage. It's a different way of life here in the village. Multiple responsibilities amidst a setting of chaos can be extremely overwhelming. Especially in a place where (due to our location and circumstances) extreme flexibility is required and short-notices of events and meetings are the norm.

So after helping run the practices after school every day this week, I ran into one of the new Natural Helper Sponsors who said she was overwhelmed with her work. And since I had felt a little guilted by some of the high school kids when they found out I wasn't planning on being the NH Sponsor anymore, I said that yes, I'd split the workload and still be willing to be the NH Sponsor. I also signed up for weekly detention duty on Fridays. That whole idea of focusing on my career was good and dandy, but I know I technically can help out with these extra things-- so I offer.

My goal this year is to love the kids for who they are and let them know that I care. When I say kids, I don't just mean my students, but all the kids K-12. By helping with Cross Country, NH, and detention, I'll probably be able to at least start that goal. I can use my exposure with all those kids to build relationships and be a loving adult in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment